Yellow melon benefits
Watermelon and yellow melon are similar in content of nutritional properties, but they may differ in some benefits, including the following:
- Red watermelon contains a higher percentage of ascorbic acid, or what is known as vitamin C, compared to yellow melon.
- Both show different antioxidant activity, as the red watermelon has the property of primary antioxidant, while the yellow melon has the property of secondary antioxidant.
- Yellow and orange watermelons contain lower amounts of lycopene than red watermelons.
- It should be noted that yellow watermelons are divided into two main types: Canary yellow, which contains carotenoids, and Salmon yellow, which contains small amounts of prolycopene.
- It is worth noting that lycopene is a plant pigment responsible for giving red and pink fruits and vegetables their distinctive color, such as tomatoes, melons, and pink grapefruits.
- The structure of cells, and DNA inside the body, in addition to its contribution to balancing the activity of free radicals, maintaining bone health and strength, as well as maintaining eyesight, which reduces the risk of certain diseases.
Scientific studies on the benefits of yellow melon
Many studies have been conducted on the benefits of consuming yellow watermelon, and the following points illustrate some of them:
Contribute to reducing the risk of diabetes: A study published in the Journal of Food and Nutrition Research in 2019, indicated that watermelon and its leaves contain antioxidants and anti-diabetes, in addition to the fact that its extract has an inhibitory effect on alpha-amylase. and alpha-glucosidase, thereby reducing the risk of diabetes.
Helping lower blood pressure levels: A study published in the journal Advances in Health Sciences Research in 2018, indicated that there was a significant effect on blood pressure levels when consuming red and yellow watermelon juice, as this effect was in the pre-hypertension stage. and pre-aging stage.
What are the benefits of cantaloupe?
Raw cantaloupe contains 90% of water, and it also contains good amounts of other elements, such as folic acid, and moderate amounts of some elements, including zinc, iron, and copper. The following is an explanation of the most important nutrients found in melons:
Beta-carotene: 100 grams of cantaloupe contains 2020 milligrams of beta-carotene, and it is worth noting that the bioavailability of beta-carotene found in orange-pulp cantaloupe is similar to that of carrots, and it is worth noting that the human body converts beta-carotene into retinol or vitamin A, Therefore, the body needs beta-carotene to obtain this vitamin, which is important for the health of the skin, mucous membranes, and the immune system, in addition to the health of the eyes and vision.
Vitamin C: Fresh cantaloupe is an excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin A, as it provides 100% of the value of the daily needs for vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant that reduces the risk of cell damage, and the body needs vitamin C for the formation of blood vessels. , cartilage, muscles, and collagen in the bones, and it also has a role in the wound healing process.
Potassium: Cantaloupe provides 12% of the daily requirement of potassium, which is important for heart health, muscles, and blood pressure.
Fiber: Cantaloupe contains a greater amount of insoluble fiber in water, compared to water-soluble fiber, which has an important role in its ability to act as a prebiotic that changes the type and activity of bacteria in the intestine, and dietary fiber helps digestion, and reduces constipation.
Contraindications to the use of yellow melon
Can you eat yellow melon?
Some people can suffer from an allergy to watermelon varieties in general, as studies have indicated that approximately 4% to 6% of children and 4% of adults are allergic to watermelon, and it is worth noting that the symptoms of watermelon allergy are similar to the symptoms of allergy to other foods. The duration of symptoms of a watermelon allergy varies from person to person, as it may appear within minutes or extend for hours after eating it, and symptoms of this allergy include: hives, itching or tingling in the lips, tongue, or throat, coughing, and pain Stomach, vomiting, diarrhea.
What are the benefits of yellow melon for the diet
There is no information available about the health benefits of yellow watermelon for the diet in particular, but it should be noted that eating fruits and vegetables, including watermelon, contributes to weight loss.
And the reason for this is due to the individual replacing his food with these healthy, low-calorie options, and there is no specific and clear reason for weight gain or Obesity, and therefore there is no one solution to losing excess weight.
But a successful weight loss process is to follow several steps to help change healthy habits and lifestyle completely, including: a healthy diet controlled by the amount of calories consumed during the day, in addition to Increase physical activity.
Benefits of yellow melon for pregnant women and fetus
is yellow honeydew melon good for you?
Yellow melon or cantaloupe is a delicious summer fruit, which enjoys great popularity among people for its refreshing taste and great benefit; Therefore, it is considered one of the foods that a pregnant woman must focus on eating during pregnancy to provide her with the nutrients that she and her fetus need, and in this article we will learn about its health benefits for her and the fetus.
Here we mention the health benefits of yellow watermelon for the pregnant woman and the fetus, which are as follows:
- Cantaloupe is one of the fruits that contain a large proportion of water; So it quenches thirst and reduces the feeling of it.
- It treats constipation thanks to the fiber it contains.
- It is considered a natural source of energy because it contains vitamin B.
- It reduces nausea and digestive disorders.
- lowers body temperature.
- Calms the nerves, and reduces stress and anxiety because it contains a high percentage of potassium.
- Protects the fetus from malformations because it contains folic acid.
- The woman’s body is rid of excess salts that cause inflammation and swelling.
- It protects women from high blood pressure.
- Maintains a healthy weight, and prevents the accumulation of harmful fats.
- Promotes the work of the respiratory system, especially lung health.
- Strengthens the blood and prevents anemia.
- Maintains healthy hair during pregnancy, as it eliminates scalp fungi and dandruff.
- Moisturizes the skin, increases its freshness, reduces wrinkles, and dark circles under the eyes.
Benefits of yellow melon in general
It treats arthritis thanks to the choline in it, which maintains the cellular membranes between the joint, and helps absorb fats that reduce inflammation, in addition to that, melon prevents oxidation between bones and joints, thus reducing inflammation.
It facilitates digestion because it contains dietary fiber, which is the main component responsible for bowel movement and the health of the digestive system, in addition to that, it is considered one of the foods that prevent colon and rectal cancer.
It reduces the secretion of stress hormones, especially cortisol, and increases potassium, which activates the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain, and reduces the feeling of stress.
It strengthens the hair because it contains a high percentage of vitamin A, in addition to the nutrients necessary for the production of sebum that maintains healthy hair and is necessary for the proper growth of the body, not to mention its ability to produce collagen that moisturizes and softens the skin.
It protects against cancer as it is rich in beta-carotene and vitamin A, and many studies have proven its effectiveness in reducing the spread of free radicals and eliminating cancer cells.