Black garlic benefits
Black garlic is characterized by many benefits, and the following is a statement of these benefits and the studies associated with them in some detail:
So what are the benefits of black garlic?
Its antioxidant content
Black garlic contains a higher percentage of antioxidants compared to regular white garlic, which gives it a higher ability to enhance the body’s immunity, and protect the body’s cells from damage and diseases.
what benefits does black garlic have?
Studies on the health benefits of black garlic
Below we explain the most prominent benefits associated with black garlic, in addition to the studies that were conducted to verify its effectiveness:
Regulating blood sugar level
Uncontrolled high blood sugar in people with diabetes may lead to an increased risk of some health complications, such as: heart disease, infection, and kidney disease, and it is noteworthy that the use of black garlic may contribute to regulating the level of sugar in the blood.
One laboratory study published in 2019 in the journal Nutrients showed that offering black garlic to a group of rats after they were given a diet rich in sugar and fat; It partially contributed to improving the metabolic processes of these rats, and helped regulate their appetite, in addition to reducing cholesterol and inflammation.
The natural and black types of garlic are characterized by their ability to help protect the heart and promote its health. However, black garlic has some additional properties that contribute to reducing the risk of heart disease; It contributes to lowering triglycerides and cholesterol.
Which was confirmed in a clinical study published in 2018 in Frontiers in Physiology on 120 people with coronary heart disease, where the results showed improved heart function in These people after taking black garlic for 6 months in conjunction with the use of drug treatment recommended by the doctor, and the improvement in heart function may be attributed to the high level of antioxidants in the blood.
Reducing the risk of some types of cancer
Several studies have shown the potential benefits of black garlic in helping to fight some types of cancer cells, and some of these studies are listed below:
Stomach cancer: Some promising studies have shown the ability of black garlic to contribute to inhibiting the growth of cancer cells for stomach cancer, such as the study published in the Journal of Molecular Medicine Reports in 2012, which was conducted in a laboratory on experimental rats carrying cancer cells.
Lung cancer: One laboratory study published in 2013 in the Zhongguo Zhong Journal showed that the use of black garlic contributes to an increase in the sensitivity of cancerous lung cells when exposed to ionizing irradiation, which facilitates the elimination of cancer cells.
Colon cancer: One laboratory study published in the Journal of Biomedical Reports in 2014 showed that black garlic may help treat colon cancer, but verification requires further clinical studies.
One of the most important properties of black garlic that give it anti-cancer properties lies in the fact that it has free radical-inhibiting properties in the body, which contributes to limiting damage to the various cells of the body, and limiting the spread and growth of cancerous cells. Therefore, eating black garlic or adding it to the diet Integrated after consulting a doctor may play a role in the treatment and prevention of cancer.
Black garlic may contribute to maintaining the health and functions of the brain, and contributes to protecting memory by contributing to the prevention of infections that can impair memory, in addition to its role in the prevention of some other brain disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease.
It is a neurodegenerative disorder that develops gradually as a result of the accumulation of hyperphosphorylated tau protein and amyloid beta, as one laboratory study published in the journal Nutrients in 2017 showed that black garlic contributed to alleviating the inflammation associated with the accumulation of amyloid beta peptide in mice In addition to that.
It improved the level of short-term memory in people with this disorder, but to confirm the results of this study, more laboratory and clinical studies must be done on black garlic.
Black garlic may have benefits in promoting liver health, which was stated in the results of a laboratory study published in 2014 in Toxicological Research, where the study authors concluded that the general results indicate that black garlic extract had a protective effect on liver cells in a number of models. Different types of liver cells are damaged in different ways.
In addition to the possibility of black garlic having unique properties that distinguish it from other types of garlic. It can be concluded from this study that black garlic has potential therapeutic and preventive benefits against some liver injuries and diseases.
Black garlic side effects
How much black garlic should you eat a day?
In some rare cases, some people may experience negative reactions to garlic, and it is worth noting that garlic may interact with some medications causing some unwanted or negative results, so it is worth noting the need to consult a doctor before starting to use garlic supplements, or adding garlic to Diet to use it permanently or in large quantities.
There are some caveats that must be considered before using garlic periodically or in high doses, and the following is a statement of some of these caveats:
- Avoid eating large amounts of garlic during pregnancy and lactation; This is due to the lack of sufficient studies confirming the safety of garlic on pregnant women and the fetus during this stage.
- Avoid applying garlic to the skin during pregnancy.
- Avoid giving children a dose of more than 900 milligrams per day for a period of more than eight weeks, as the degree of safety of garlic on children has not been verified if this dose is consumed, or if it is used for a period of time exceeding eight weeks.
- Beware of the effect of garlic, especially fresh, in increasing the risk of bleeding.
- Stop using garlic about two weeks before the surgery to avoid some of the effects of garlic, such as increasing bleeding time, lowering blood sugar levels, and affecting blood pressure values.
Drug interactions with garlic
There are some drug interactions between some medicines and garlic, which calls for avoiding consuming garlic in high quantities or using garlic supplements during the use of these medicines, in addition to the need to consult a doctor before starting to consume large quantities of garlic, and the following is a statement of some medicines that may interact with garlic:
Medicines that interact with garlic to a significant or serious degree:Non-Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors (NNRTIs); It is one of the drug groups used in the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus, or what is known as AIDS.
- Isoniazid medication.
- Saquinavir medication.
- Birth control pills.
- The drug cyclosporin.
- Medicines that are treated in the liver such as Paracetamol, Theophylline, Anesthesia, Lovastatin, Triazolam.
Black garlic overview
Black garlic is prepared by fermenting fresh garlic under specific conditions that include high humidity ranging between 80-90% and a temperature ranging between 60-90 degrees Celsius, noting that black garlic does not have the same pungent or strong flavor as fresh garlic due to the low proportion of allicin It is noteworthy that the use of black garlic dates back to very ancient times in the Asian continent before its recent spread in many countries. Health and prevention of some health disorders.
is eating black garlic good?
Black garlic has many proven or promising health benefits, such as promoting heart health, preventing complications of diabetes, protecting the liver, and preventing some types of cancer, in addition to many other benefits, and this may be attributed to the fact that it contains many important nutrients and antioxidants. With reference to the need to be careful to avoid using large amounts of garlic or garlic supplements before consulting a doctor, especially if some medications are used permanently.
Benefits of garlic for weight loss
Eating garlic along with some other practices may help lose weight, as a study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition in 2013 showed that people who were obese took a specific product containing garlic, twice daily for 8 weeks, reduced body weight.
And from the waist and hip circumference, in addition to reducing fat mass, in addition to following a healthy diet and exercising, and another laboratory study published in The Journal of Nutrition in 2011 showed that consuming garlic supplements reduced body weight.
In addition, it reduced fat in mice suffering from obesity by giving them a high-fat diet, and adding garlic to different dishes adds flavor without adding any additional calories to them, and research has shown that some foods may have an effect in curbing appetite when added to the system. food, which helps in losing weight.
Benefits of garlic oil for weight loss
Garlic has been used since ancient times to effectively treat the problem of obesity. It helps to get rid of the rumen and abdomen, and a clove of garlic can be eaten every morning on an empty stomach, and greatly helps to burn the fat accumulated in different parts of the body, and a wonderful recipe for slimming using garlic can be prepared, by placing five cups of water on Then add the peeled garlic cloves, lemon slices and a bunch of washed parsley, then remove the mixture from the heat and leave until it cools, then filter and put in a bottle in the refrigerator, then eat a cup of it three times a day.
In addition to the above, you can prepare an effective garlic and honey drink in getting rid of excess weight. It is prepared by placing a clove of mashed garlic in a cup of warm water, then adding a teaspoon of natural honey to it, and then eating it daily before bed.
Other benefits of garlic oil
- It is considered an anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal, and therefore it treats staphylococcus and yeast infections.
- It treats the annoying dandruff and gets rid of itching, and the scalp can be massaged with garlic oil in circular motions, then left on the hair for a short period and then washed with lukewarm water.
- Treats dental pain, and a piece of cotton can be dipped in garlic oil, then placed on the place of pain for at least ten minutes, and the recipe is repeated three times a day.
- It fights infections and skin diseases, the most important of which are: athlete’s foot, psoriasis, eczema, pimples, ringworm, itching and others.
- maintains heart health; It reduces the levels of triglycerides and bad cholesterol in the body, and thus it protects against various chest diseases such as atherosclerosis, clots, and strokes.
- treat ear infections; Because it contains antiseptic properties and antioxidants.
- It helps to increase hair growth quickly, as it softens the hair and gives it a wonderful shine, nourishes the scalp, and fights many problems that may affect the scalp, as garlic oil is rich in sulfur minerals and vitamins E, C, B1 and B6.
- It protects against many cancerous tumors, due to the presence of allyl sulfur, which is useful in stopping the growth and development of cancer cells.
- Effectively strengthens the immune system; It protects the body from many health problems and diseases.
- It is considered a blood thinner for patients with hemophilia.