Many people suffer from bad breath, which varies in severity depending on the cause. Therefore, we are witnessing a great demand from people for products or treatments that are used to treat this problem
Such as: mint frankincense, mouthwash solutions and some other preparations aimed at fighting and preventing bad breath temporarily.
Causes and risk factors for bad breath
There are many causes for bad breath, such as the following:
The remains of food crumbs accumulated in and around the teeth cause a foul smell similar to mold, especially in foods that contain volatile oils, such as: onions and garlic, which can cause bad breath for a period that lasts up to 72 hours, in addition to some other types of vegetables. and spices.
Failure to maintain adequate dental health and hygiene is one of the main causes of bad breath, as this leads to the accumulation of food crumbs in the mouth, and the collection of germs that release some types of foul gases such as hydrogen sulfide.
Other times, plaque builds up and can lead to gingivitis, and plaque-filled cysts between the teeth and gums make the smell worse.
Saliva helps to clean the mouth, and in cases of dry mouth, dead cells accumulate on the tongue and gums, causing bad breath, and the mouth usually becomes dry during sleep, which causes bad breath that many suffer from in the morning.
Infection with some diseases
There are some diseases that cause bad breath, including the following:
- Chronic infection accompanied by abscess in the lungs.
- Certain types of cancer.
- Disorders of metabolic processes (Metabolic disease).
- Renal failure, which smells similar to urine.
- Hepatic failure, and the smell is similar to that of fish.
- Diabetes, and the smell is similar to that of rotting fruits.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Smoking causes dry mouth, in addition to the bad smell of tobacco itself, and people who smoke tobacco are more likely than others to develop periodontal disease.
People who are on strict diets may have bad breath that smells like rotting fruits due to ketoacidosis, which results from burning fat.
Complications of bad breath
In fact, there are no complications resulting from the smell itself, but the complications result from the cause of this smell.
Bad breath diagnosis
The doctor may smell the patient’s mouth and evaluate the smell based on specific measures, and there are some reagents that work to determine the substance responsible for the smell.
Bad breath treatment
Bad breath can be alleviated by maintaining oral hygiene, using simple care methods and treatments to solve the problem, and it is preferable to consult a dentist in order to ensure that there is no serious cause of the problem of mouth odor.
Prevention of bad breath
Some steps can be taken to prevent bad breath, such as the following:
- Brush your teeth after eating.
- Clean between the teeth once every day.
- Rub the tongue and clean it with special tools to get rid of suspended matter.
- Regular cleaning of the gums.
- Drink more water.
- Use a toothbrush in good condition and change it from time to time.
- Undergo a periodic check-up by the dentist to detect any problem and know the current and used methods to get rid of bad breath.
There are some herbs whose chewing helps relieve mouth odor because they contain a group of essential oils, such as the following:
- Fresh parsley.